Newcastle Writers Festival
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
To enter you must be an Australian citizen or Australian resident.
1. The prize is open to writers working across creative nonfiction and fiction for readers of all ages.
2. You must be 18 years of age or over to enter. There is no upper age limit.
3. An ‘emerging writer’ is defined as someone who has not previously published, or has a contract for, a full-length work with a commercial publisher.
4. For the purposes of this prize, regional NSW includes the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter region, and Illawarra, and is defined as the areas or regions outside of metropolitan Sydney, including western Sydney.
5. The sample of writing submitted for the prize must not have been previously published. It does not need to stand alone i.e. it can be an extract from a longer work.
6. Submissions close on 4 September at 11:59pm AEST. Entries submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
7. Entries must be submitted by uploading to freshinkprize.submittable.com
8. Entries must comprise the following: a. A bio without identifying details b. Publishing history without identifying details c. Professional development plan with concrete details d. Sample of writing of up to 3000 words as well as a precis, especially if the sample is part of a larger work.
9. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
10. All entries will be judged blind, so please do not include your name anywhere in the submitted manuscript file or the file name, or as a result your entry will be deemed ineligible.
11. The decision of the judges is final. The judges will not provide individual feedback to entrants.
12. By submitting your entry, you agree to the Prize Terms and Conditions displayed on our website https://www.newcastlewritersfestival.org.au/2023-fresh-ink-prize/.